My article on the transatlantic circulation of a 19th century newspaper joke has just been published in the Journal of Victorian Culture. ‘You Kick the Bucket; We Do the Rest!’: Jokes and the Culture of Reprinting in the Transatlantic Press "In December 1893 the Conservative candidate for Flintshire addressed an audience at Mold Constitutional Club. After he had finished attacking Gladstone and the local Liberal incumbent, he ended his speech with a joke. He advised the Conservative party to adopt, with regard to the government, the sign of an American undertaker: ‘You kick the bucket; we do the rest’. How did a sign belonging to a Nevadan undertaker become the subject of a joke told at a political meeting in North Wales? This unlikely question forms the basis of this article. Using new digital archives, it tracks the journey of the gag from its origins in New York, its travels around America, its trip across the Atlantic, its circulation throughout Britain and its eventual leap into political discourse. The article uses the joke to illuminate the workings of a broader culture of transatlantic reprinting. During the final quarter of the nineteenth century miscellaneous ‘snippets’ cut from the pages of the American [...]
- VMM Update – Finding Jokes
- Introducing… the Victorian Meme Machine!
- Nineteenth-Century Nuts: The Anatomy of a Victorian Lad’s Mag (Part 1)
- Talk: Digital Detectives – Bridging the Gap Between the Archive and the Classroom
- Musical Prize Fight
- History and Humour: British and American Perspectives
- Gale Dissertation Research Fellowship 2013
- Welsh Newspapers Online – 6 New Titles Added.
- First Look: Gale Artemis
- First Look: Daily Mail Historical Archive
New R4 drama series called “Dickens Confidential” starting tomorrow at 21.00, on Dickens as a journalist. pic.twitter.com/u6JRsdYj8921 minutes ago
Ouch! - Tit-Bits (1886) pic.twitter.com/skZUjlUzPt3 hours ago
- Tit-Bits (1886) pic.twitter.com/9BbyxwOcsS3 hours ago
- 8 hours ago
Is Boris Johnson a coward, a chancer, untrustworthy, and cynical? This video is a devastating assessment twitter.com/bbcpolitics/st…1 day ago