A couple of days ago I received an e-mail informing me that one of my articles on digitisation was about to be published in Media History. I still feel pleasantly surprised whenever my work materializes in print, but this news was particularly unexpected - by the time it finally appeared I'd almost forgotten about writing it. Looking back through my files, it seems that the first draft of the article was finished on 8 October 2010. The piece was accepted by the guest editors of a special issue of conference proceedings and, in March 2011, I submitted the finished version to the journal. 10 months later, the piece was peer reviewed and I submitted some minor revisions. It was officially accepted on the 18 of June 2012, and finally appeared online in January 2013. More than two years have passed since I first wrote the article. A lot of things have happened to me in that time: I completed my PhD, wrote four other articles, worked at three different universities, moved house three times, crossed the Atlantic twice, learned to drive, and started this blog. The article, on the other hand, is largely the same as it was in October [...]
- VMM Update – Finding Jokes
- Introducing… the Victorian Meme Machine!
- Nineteenth-Century Nuts: The Anatomy of a Victorian Lad’s Mag (Part 1)
- Talk: Digital Detectives – Bridging the Gap Between the Archive and the Classroom
- Musical Prize Fight
- History and Humour: British and American Perspectives
- Gale Dissertation Research Fellowship 2013
- Welsh Newspapers Online – 6 New Titles Added.
- First Look: Gale Artemis
- First Look: Daily Mail Historical Archive
I'm currently reading a Victorian reissue of an 18th-century jestbook. 49 jokes from the original text were omitted… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago
- Joe Miller’s Jests (1846 ed.) pic.twitter.com/AIqMmeWE8t8 hours ago
I AM DEAD pic.twitter.com/2uv7lqZuzN9 hours ago
My Dad had just finished training as an English teacher down in London. Apparently, they spent the journey chatting… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 hours ago
Sad news today about Jack Charlton, but here's one of my favourite stories about him, told by my Dad over on facebo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 hours ago