Introducing... the Victorian Meme Machine! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8LkH0I8mEg What would it take to make a Victorian joke funny again? Nothing short of a miracle, you might think. After all, there are few things worse than a worn-out joke. Some provoke a laugh, and the best are retold to friends, but even the most delectable gags are soon discarded. While the great works of Victorian art and literature have been preserved and celebrated by successive generations, even the period’s most popular jokes have now been lost or forgotten. Fortunately, thousands of these endangered jests have been preserved within the British Library’s digital collections. I applied to this year’s British Library Labs Competition because I wanted to find these forgotten gags and bring them back to life. Over the next couple of months we’re going to be working together on a new digital project – the ‘Victorian Meme Machine’ [VMM]. The VMM will create an extensive database of Victorian jokes that will be available for use by both researchers and members of the public. It will analyse jokes and semi-automatically pair them with an appropriate image (or series of images) drawn from the British Library’s digital collections and other participating archives. Users will [...]
- VMM Update – Finding Jokes
- Introducing… the Victorian Meme Machine!
- Nineteenth-Century Nuts: The Anatomy of a Victorian Lad’s Mag (Part 1)
- Talk: Digital Detectives – Bridging the Gap Between the Archive and the Classroom
- Musical Prize Fight
- History and Humour: British and American Perspectives
- Gale Dissertation Research Fellowship 2013
- Welsh Newspapers Online – 6 New Titles Added.
- First Look: Gale Artemis
- First Look: Daily Mail Historical Archive
- Answers magazine (1905) pic.twitter.com/wLsZ1JM3DQ10 hours ago
@mrsbeard80 Congrats! Significantly above average!13 hours ago
- 13 hours ago
I had so much fun making this round (probably a lot more fun than people had while playing it). Here are some more… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…13 hours ago
@RolloTreadway And his catchphrase is in the caption below too! Perhaps people thought it was too obvious?14 hours ago