[update summer 2014] I wrote this review of the British Newspaper Archive way back in 2011. At the time, I was rather critical of some of its shortcomings. However, I'm pleased to say that the BNA has subsequently addressed many of the problems I identified back then. Their subscription packages are more reasonable, the usage caps have been lifted, and they’re very relaxed about people sharing the findings of their research. The hit-term highlighting problem has been solved, and new material seems to be appearing more rapidly than it did in the past. In other words, they have fixed almost all of the teething problems that I identified in the original archive. It's not perfect by any means, but I do think the BNA has evolved into a good archive that justifies its subscription fee. I'll be writing a new review shortly. Christmas arrived early for historians this week. On Tuesday morning, amid a blaze of publicity, the British Library unveiled the new home of its digitised newspaper collection - The British Newspaper Archive (BNA). Developed in partnership with commercial publisher brightsolid, the BNA provides online access to hundreds of eighteenth, nineteenth and early-twentieth-century newspapers. It’s an ambitious, long-term project [...]
- VMM Update – Finding Jokes
- Introducing… the Victorian Meme Machine!
- Nineteenth-Century Nuts: The Anatomy of a Victorian Lad’s Mag (Part 1)
- Talk: Digital Detectives – Bridging the Gap Between the Archive and the Classroom
- Musical Prize Fight
- History and Humour: British and American Perspectives
- Gale Dissertation Research Fellowship 2013
- Welsh Newspapers Online – 6 New Titles Added.
- First Look: Gale Artemis
- First Look: Daily Mail Historical Archive
On Wed 15th April we launch our "Edge Hill University from Home" 🎓 A variety of sessions, including a weekly timet… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 minutes ago
- Answers magazine (1905) pic.twitter.com/wLsZ1JM3DQ11 hours ago
@mrsbeard80 Congrats! Significantly above average!14 hours ago
- 14 hours ago
I had so much fun making this round (probably a lot more fun than people had while playing it). Here are some more… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…14 hours ago