Excellent news! Welsh Newspapers Online have added six new titles to their database: Cambrian News 1860 -1910 Cambrian 1804-1910 Cardiff Times 1858 - 1910 Monmouthshire Merlin 1829 - 1884 South Wales Daily Post 1893 -1900 Weekly Mail 1879-1910 I was really impressed with this free-to-access archive when I reviewed it back in March. The new titles represent a significant expansion of the database - particularly in its coverage of South Wales. I've run through my usual set of searches and discovered another example of the 'You Kick the Bucket; We Do the Rest' joke!
- VMM Update – Finding Jokes
- Introducing… the Victorian Meme Machine!
- Nineteenth-Century Nuts: The Anatomy of a Victorian Lad’s Mag (Part 1)
- Talk: Digital Detectives – Bridging the Gap Between the Archive and the Classroom
- Musical Prize Fight
- History and Humour: British and American Perspectives
- Gale Dissertation Research Fellowship 2013
- Welsh Newspapers Online – 6 New Titles Added.
- First Look: Gale Artemis
- First Look: Daily Mail Historical Archive
This image accompanies an 1876 article from The Illustrated Police News describing the death of a sponge diver - in… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 minutes ago
'There can be no doubt that in the depths of the sea there exist uncouth fantastic monsters, which, like the Great… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 minutes ago
What made Queen Victoria and her subjects smile? From comic cartoons to pun-filled joke books, check out what som… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…25 minutes ago
This is a very interesting idea. The 3-vol edition of a Victorian novel sometimes came out before the end of the pe… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago
If you fancy doing a PhD in the area of crime and policing history, juvenile justice, etc, I’m very happy to chat t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago